You’ve been warned:
- Re: “Obamacare” – Democratic Senators who have opined that this is the greatest system they’re about to implement will not vote Senate coverage to include it as an option (WSJ); more WSJ – the taxes needed to even begin funding this thing “would raise the top marginal federal tax rate back to roughly 47% or 48%, if you include the Medicare tax and the phase-out of certain deductions and exemptions. With the current top rate at 35%, this would be the largest rate increase outside the Great Depression or world wars.”
- President Obama’s & the Democratic Party’s numbers re: healthcare are completely phony, says the Congressional Budget Office; in case you’re curious about how Obama’s spending compares to Bush’s, this year alone costs more than all previous years under the Bush administration combined.
- How are we doing against terrorism? If this report is to be believed, apparently we can’t stop people from smuggling handguns aboard domestic jetliners.
- Meanwhile, in Iran (h/t Ario). More “on the split in the leadership.”
- Why is American democracy such a mess? I haven’t talked much about democracy being responsibility, although it is a theme I vocally bring up with some. Bruce Bartlett: “One reason is I am disturbed that we have a large percentage of the population that pay no income taxes. And I know many of those people pay payroll taxes. But income taxes fund the general government. According to a study by the Tax Policy Center, 47 percent pay no income tax, or have negative liability. And I think it’s bad for democracy when people get into the position when a majority can vote benefits for themselves but not pay for it.”